Born in Gimhae in 1956. Studied theology at Hanshin University and became a filmmaker since 1993 with his first short "For Rosa". Since a short film "De-Pure Land" (1996) and his first feature "Yellow Flower" (1998) were invited to Busan, he directed more than 10 independant features invited to international film festivlas. "The Battle of Gwangju" (2015) is his commercial debut.
[HanCinema's Film Review] "The Battle of Gwangju" 2016/01/02,
The time is May 18th, 1980. Following frustration over Chun Doo-hwan seizing control of South Korea in a military coup, a student protest in Gwangju quickly escalates into a full-scale uprising. Not just students but common citizens too ask themselves whether they should just accept the junta as a fact of life and keep their heads down, or find weapons and fight back. "The Battle of Gwangju" is a dramatization of a group of people who decide to fight back, eventually pushed back into a single critical building which they will inevitably lose,...More
- Stay on topic and do not spam.
- Post only in English, as this is an English language community.
- Do not request or mention illegal download/streaming services.
- Do not post sexist, racist, homophobic or other hateful and discriminatory content.
- Refrain from abusive language.
- No graphic content allowed.
- Respect the right of other users to share their opinion. Arguments are welcome, fights are not.
Comments which break the rules will be moderated or erased. Repeated rule breaking will result in warnings followed by blacklisting upon non-compliance.
To participate to HanCinema, you must sign up or log in. Sign up, Why ?
Subscribe to HanCinema Pure to remove ads from the website (not for episode and movie videos) for US$2.99 per month (you can cancel anytime).
The first step is to be a member, please click here : Sign up, then a subscribe button will show up.